Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Job Search Update

As of late, I have been applying for jobs.  Last week, I accepted a job performing hearing screenings at a hospital.  I'm very excited about it.  I think that it's exactly what I've been looking for, at least for now.

I don't know if I will stop my job search here; it's part time and it's definitely outside the spectrum of what I was considering.  However, my friend, Melanie, helped me get this job and she indicated that she thought there was room for growth in the job (how exciting!  I haven't had a job with room for growth!).  Additionally, I keep feeling a nudge toward the healthcare industry.  Repeatedly.  Sort of in the same way that Teach for America kept cropping up before and during the application process.  Scary. 

For example, my friend Ellen in Houston (who I really miss) once suggested that I check out something called Child Life.  Child Life professionals work in hospitals and help kids get through procedures by educating them and distracting them, as well as work with their parents and siblings and help keep things as light as possible for the kids.  It's still something that interests me, but I'd have to go back to school and I'm not ready to commit to that yet.  I'd love to go back to school.  I love learning and being in the classroom (as a student).  I don't even mind taking tests.  But returning to school is a commitment and it costs a lot of money.  I'd hate to take classes and get certified in something that I'm not really interested in before I know that this is the path to which I want to commit. 

The idea of nursing has also been knocking around my head for awhile.  But, again, going back to school.  Lots of school.  And nursing is hard in many of the same ways that teaching is hard.  We'll see.

So, in the meantime, I think that this will be a great fit.  Maybe this is part of the message that I've been waiting to receive.  I don't believe in coincidences, but I do believe in Plans for our lives.  So, maybe this is part of mine.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment