Monday, June 24, 2013

Recipe - Chicken Bobs

So I made these things that, for a lack of a better name, I will call Chicken Bobs. 

Because, you know, bobs are a good name for anything for which you don't have a name. Works for me, anyway. :)


I made them as an experiment a couple of weeks ago, semi-inspired by this recipe, and I must say they turned out pretty good. That time I made them with ground beef and tomato sauce. 

This is kind of a willy nilly recipe. Everything is pretty much to taste and substitutable. If you're looking for very specific instructions, I'm afraid you won't find them here.

I am, however, something of a veggie fanatic. I am all about Strive for Five, which comes from the food pyramid/MyPlate, which recommends about five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

Five servings sounds like a lot. And when you first start out, it is, but if you really consciously work fruits and veggies, into your day, it's quite easy. For example, I have some form of fruit for breakfast, a mid-morning snack of an apple or celery with peanut butter, some veggie at lunch, an afternoon snack of a veggie with some hummus or other kind of dip, and veggies with dinner. Sounds like a lot of food, but eating small meals throughout the day keeps you and your metabolism going. Instead of reaching for some junk, you grab some healthier, instead.

(Although, I'm not gonna lie, chips are my weakness. Mmm...it is disgusting how much I love cheese curls... Everything in moderation, right?)

Plus, I've found that a good deal of main dishes can easily accommodate extra veggies. Often, without people even noticing.

I have to say, I feel so much better since I've worked more fruits and veggies into our day.

So, off the soapbox now, but onto how you can work veggies into your main dish...starting with chicken bobs. :)

Ingredients:

This season's first zucchini!
I grabbed a zucchini (this season's first!) and some kale from my garden. (Really, you could use anything...carrots, eggplant, beets, spinach, peppers, broccoli...your options are endless.)

Kale and lettuce were really my only cool season vegetable successes.

A can of Pillsbury Grands or other refrigerated biscuits. My next goal is to find a whole wheat alternative, but these were good for now.


Shredded chicken. I just threw a chicken breast into the crock pot the day before with some water, shredded it and put it into the fridge until I was ready for it. Easy peasy.


A can of mushrooms and two cans of tomato sauce. Brands don't matter...these are just what I had on hand.

Plus an onion and some spices - I used basil, oregano, garlic powder, rosemary, and white wine vinegar.

This is a very versatile recipe. Switch around your spices and veggies to taste.

How to:


Dice your onion and cook over low heat until softened. You can use a little olive oil or some cooking spray so the onion doesn't stick.


Add your kale (or veggie of choice) and cook. Just let it wilt a little.


If using canned mushrooms, rinse them to reduce the sodium. Add to the onion/kale mixture.


Add the chicken, tomato sauce, and spices to your taste. I recommend adding a 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon at a time. You can always add more, but you can't take it out.

If using zucchini (or similar veggie...carrot, eggplant, etc.), shred it (I used the food processor - how did I cook before I had one?) and add to your mixture.

Let it come to a boil and thicken a little. The amount of time kind of varies depending on what type of veggies you add. Zucchinis are more water-based, so it took a little longer, but I would say around 10 minutes or so.


Take your refrigerated biscuits (I used Pillsbury Grands) and flatten them out. This is a highly imperfect process. Just smush with your hands/fists.

Spoon about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of filling in each, fold it over, and press the edges together with a fork.


It will probably get messy.


Practice makes it a little better.


Because you made all that yummy sauce, you will have a good portion leftover.

You could get a second can of biscuits and use it. Or you could freeze it and defrost to use another night (then you only have to assemble and bake and you have dinner!). Or you could make pasta or rice or couscous tomorrow night and serve the sauce over it.

Bake at 375 for about 11 minutes. Just watch for the tops to brown.


Now you have chicken bobs! I put a little parmesan cheese on top.

You can serve with salad or some other veggies (see? more veggies, easy right? Versatile and good tasting - they don't have to be boring!). We had them with smashed red potatoes and steamed green beans.

Do you love veggies, like me? Or, if you don't, do you think putting them in something, like this, might make them easier to eat?

Linking up with Molly & Carly for Funday Monday.
still being [molly]






2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found my blog so I could make a new friend! I love your quilts and your "unmatched" family. How boring would it be if we all looked the same anyway!? You are just beautiful! And you can quilt like it is nobody's business! I followed you via Blog Lovin and I am looking forward to more posts! thanks for the encouragement. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....thanks, Susan!! Thanks for following! I really enjoyed your blog, as well. Glad I found it!

      Delete