Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tomato Tuesday - Why your veggie garden should always have flowers

My garden is really coming along.


I've got these little mini peppers ripening.


I'm about to pick them, actually. Gotta figure out what I'll do with them. Mmmm...

And lots of 'maters. 






We had a couple of the cherry ones already. They were GOOD.


Yellow squash is blooming.


And I've picked one zucchini so far...


Pumpkins are starting to flower.


And bush beans are starting to grow.

Here's my secret...

Flowers!

Lots and lots of flowers!

Veggies ain't gonna grow without pollinators. 

It's not the birds and bees talk for nothing, folks. ;)

Bees and butterflies are always welcome in my garden.

Squash vine borer is another story, but we'll revisit him another time.

How do you attract those bees and butterflies?

With food!!

Which, for them, means lots of flowers.

Fortunately, my flowers are looking quite lovely, if I do say so myself. So I'm just going to give you some eye candy and call it a Tomato Tuesday. ;)

Hope you enjoy!

I attempted to grow a number of violas last fall and didn't get them in time before frost. But they all popped up this spring. A number of them appear to have interbred and made lovely numbers like this one, which I did not plant myself. Just popped up.
Good heavens, I'm a sucker for zinnia. 
Zinnia!
Amber's Kiss Viola
 

Oh that color.
 






Some lettuce still hiding in there. It's starting to bolt.

Mmm marigold. A gardener's best friend. A lot of the nasty beasties  hate the smell, so they stay away.
This little sweetie is getting ready to pop soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment